Wednesday, April 25, 2007

I Had a Point Around Here, Somewhere

Since I seem to be having troubles getting this blog off the ground, this post is going to be very frank.

The purpose of this blog is threefold.

1) This will be my own personal writing project to get myself into the habit of writing. I am a writer by nature, but I have been completely uninspired for years. Most of my work as of late has been for job related reasons or have read like research papers. I love constructing informative articles, but I want there to be more emotion to my writing. With a platform such as this, I am giving myself a place that is available whenever (and mostly where-ever) the inspiration strikes. Its quick, easily published, and I can write whatever I want. The bonus is it is public so hopefully people will read it and their comments will inspire me to write even more.

2) This will also be a social experiment of sorts. My friends and I are probably some of the most well-informed people on just about any current or real-world event. We are constantly soaking up information regarding politics, religion, and culture, then sharing and discussing what we learn amongst ourselves. Our sources are varied, and we all have our “regular” sites that always seem to contain information that is useful. I want to see how long it takes for one of my friends to stumble across this blog and link it to the rest of us. That would make me incredibly happy. It wouldn’t necessarily mean that my blog has become super popular or anything, but it will mean that people are finding it and reading it.

3) I don’t want to be a proofreader forever, but a nice place to get my foot in the door to work in the publishing field. It’s only satisfying to a point, however. If I’m every going to move on into writing as a profession, I need to start doing more of it. I’ve used my “slacker time” after college wisely, procuring entry-level jobs that have given me enough experience to command a salary that actually pays enough to cover my expenses. I probably won’t seek a new job for a year or two, as I just started my current one in January, but the next one will be closer to what I want to do with my life and will pay better. No, I’m not greedy. I want to make a difference though, and it seems that nothing can be done in this world without money. Not that this blog is going to fix that, but if it can help me to become inspired or if my experiment works, I feel that it could only help to enhance my writing, provide a public forum for criticism, and give me more practice.

Basically, if this blog accomplishes either 1 or 2, 3 will most likely follow.

Now its time to get ready for work.

No comments:

Post a Comment