Sunday, April 27, 2008

Pure Pionus Parrot

Okay, so after I made my last post, I got to thinking that there was at least one publication of mine which had not been linked to this blog yet. I wrote this article for Associated Content because I thought (very briefly) that I might be able to make some money this way when I was first starting out as a writer. I had been out of practice for articles of any length (my primary duties at the time were creating about 33 news blurbs of 200 characters of less), so it took me a little while to write. I wasn't satisfied with the compensation I received, however. Now I know a little bit more about those sorts of mass produced things. I will probably write something else for them someday, but I feel that site is a little bit more about quantity and not as much about quality.

Myself, I strive for quality and content over quantity. I put time and research into my articles. Though I will use existing items as references, I like to create my own original articles on various topics. I also like to take a few things that might be happening in the news at the same time and tie them together, such as this article I wrote which combines information from a piece that says the act of giving can counteract depression with a piece that says donations are down.

Anyways.. back to the parrot. I have a Pionus Parrot named Harry. He is of the Blue Headed variety. They are peculiar birds. They don't usually talk, or if they do talk, it is not very clearly. But mine does! He is very self centered, though. His phrases are "Harry Bird," "Harry Boy," "Buddy Bird," "Buddy Boy," "Whats up, birdy," "Come here," and "Here Kitty, Kitty, Kitty." He does have some more colorful phrases, but thankfully, those are much less easily understood. The F-sound is a little harder for a parrot to mimick :) He can be very, very loud and it can be very frustrating. I can't always account for the language I use towards him when he is throwing a little birdy temper tantrum!

Anyways, my family owns birds. My aunt has a Yellow Naped Amazon and a Congo African Grey. I would never own either of these birds, their beaks are far too large and they tend to only like one person. Harry, on the other hand, craves attention from anyone who will give it to him. My mother and brother, between the two of them, have a Nanday Conure named Cozmo, a Blue-Crowned Conure named Indigo, and a Jardine's Parrot named Jordy. While I would totally have another Pionus or a Jardine, I wouldn't get another conure. They are friendly but very loud.

No comments:

Post a Comment